Gochujang – say it with me – “go • choo • jang”.
This amazing Korean hot sauce is my favorite new thing. Think of it as a slightly sweeter Sriracha with a little funk on the finish. I just love, love, love it.
And “love it” is appropriate as it was gifted to me (along with a tasty bottle of bourbon) on Valentine’s Day (the official day of love) by my most thoughtful wife. Not traditional I know, but straight to my heart nonetheless.
I used this new bottle of love sauce, I mean hot sauce, as a base to a marinade that is fast becoming a standard in my repertoire. A quick mix of Gochujang, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, onion, sesame oil and a couple other aromatics and this little naked chicken was transformed into a sumptuous Asian inspired feast for the senses.
Now, truth be told, I made this whole dinner pretty easy on myself. I marinated the chicken in a big pyrex baking dish and then just popped the whole thing in the oven.
You could also roast the chicken on a rack for about the same time and temp (the skin will be crisper) or cook it on the grill (I imagine this marinade will be even better with a nice char and a little smoke – hello summer), but I was feelin’ a little lazy this evening (or a little maximum taste, minimum toil if you prefer) and I knew I would end up with an ample amount of sauce/gravy left in the dish which would go great spooned over the big pot of rice I was also making – along with these Quick Pickled Cucumbers.
No matter how you cook it this new Spicy Korean Gochujang Chicken will make an awesome dinner for you and yours. How could it not, since it was born out of love.
Spicy Korean Gochujang Chicken
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - chopped
- ½ cup soy sauce (I used low sodium soy sauce)
- ½ cup Gochujang Korean hot sauce - I like this brand
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3-4 lbs assorted chicken pieces - I used bone in skin on thighs and wings
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken and stir well to combine. Add the chicken and coat well. Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Put the chicken and marinade into a pyrex baking dish and bake in oven for an hour. Serve with white rice, quick pickled cucumbers and a drizzle of sauce. Enjoy.
*Btw – Some links within this post are affiliate links for products that I truly like and use. This means that if you click and buy I might make a couple of pennies which I can then use to get more food to cook for you. Win win…