I found these crazy pink lemons at the market the other day and I was looking for something to make with them.
So, as it’s spring now and my thoughts more often than not at this time turn to super fresh veggies, I started thinking asparagus?, spring onions?, peas?, sugar snap peas???
With a nice lemon vinaigrette??? Yes, that’s the ticket…
So I rounded up some fresh sugar snap peas and those lemons, along with some ricotta salata, a slightly salty, pressed and dried ricotta cheese which I thought would play nicely with the bright and tangy flavor of those pink hued lemons and the honey lemon vinaigrette I planned to make with them, and a big handful of fresh basil which I had in ample supply thanks to a Cold Tomato Basil Bisque I made earlier in the week, and got to work.
After whipping up a quick dressing I blanched the peas in hot, salted water and then placed them in an ice water bath to cool.
All I had to do now was drain ’em, dry ’em and dress ’em and we had a fantastically lovely spring pea salad.
Tangy lemon, salty cheese, sweet spring peas… Delicious!
Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Ricotta Salata and Pink Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 lb sugar snaps - cleaned and destrung
- 1 pink lemon - zest & juice (don't worry if you can't find a pink lemon, a regular lemon will do just fine)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup xvoo
- 2 oz ricotta salata - crumbled
- 2 tbsp fresh basil - chiffonade
- Blanche peas in boiling salted water till crisp tender 3-4 minutes. Immediately place in ice bath to stop cooking and cool. When cool, drain and dry.
- In a small bowl mix lemon juice, mustard, honey and xvoo along with a little snp till combined.
- Toss peas with lemon vinaigrette, season with snp and garnish with lemon zest, ricotta salata and basil. Serve cool or at room temp. Enjoy!